A safari can be a life-altering journey. The ability to enjoy the ultimate adventure, which is inspiring and educational, is what makes them so amazing. Safaris are definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity to enter into the great wilderness and see a stunning variety of birds, mammals, reptiles and insects up close. Being able to enjoy vibrant cultures that are quite different from yours and relishing new smells, sights and sounds are what make safaris so much fun and incredible.
What to Expect on a Safari
When you go on a safari, you will be travelling into the wilderness. This travel often occurs on special 4X4 vehicles or truck, and many other people and a guide will be part of your travel group. There will be other employees, who will take care of your dining needs.
Safaris always camp at lodges or tented camps. The accommodation, even tents, has all modern amenities to make your trip comfortable and relaxing, including hot showers.
Food is often an elaborate affair, with several courses freshly prepared and served for each meal.
The guide charts out the trip on a daily basis and guests are informed in advance what to expect the following day. The guides are experienced, skilled and completely attuned to their surroundings. They often know where to spot the animals, so do not get surprised if, at times, you have to wake before dawn to spy animals at a water hole!
What are the Best Aspects?
It goes without saying that the best aspect of a safari is the wilderness, where guests get the chance to see lions, elephants, wild buffaloes, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, gazelles, leopards and many more animals in their natural environment. And getting close enough to the animals that you can smell them! Here are some more aspects that make safaris stand out.
- They are one of the best ways to have cultural interactions with local communities that live deep in forests and have no contact with civilisations. On a safari, guests can meet, spend time with and also learn from these tribes in a very unique manner.
- Amazing landscapes will take your breath away and you’ll get to see a wide range of landscapes – rolling mountains, lush plains and panoramic plateaus.
- People have the chance to be adventurous and active, while spending quality time with their closest and dearest. It is a fantastic opportunity to reconnect with family and share a magical experience like no other.
- Safaris force people to slow down and appreciate the natural wonders around them. They get time to rest, relax and make meaningful conversation with other people and this helps them realise the purpose of their life.
Places Offering the Best Safaris
Africa has some of the best places for a safari. Its varied landscape and huge game reserves offer exciting safari opportunities, and also some of the best activities such as hiking and mountain climbing.
Here are some of Africa’s best safari destinations:
- Kenya, famous for its wildebeest, gnu and zebra migration to the Mara Plains;
- Tanzania and the Serengeti;
- Zambia’s Lower Zambezi Valley;
- South Africa’s Kruger National Park;
- Botswana’s Okavango Delta.